Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Seeing Art


“I was talking to my cat the other day, and I realized it was my backpack,” Ms. Kitazawa exclaims. One of a handful of legally blind artists included in the national juried exhibition “Insights,” she was declared legally blind in February due to advanced glaucoma and started becoming incredibly productive in the art realm, according to the New York Times. The impairment has allowed her to fulfill a dormant dream: to create riveting visual artistic landscapes. One of her exhibited pieces, pictured above, consists of two circular fabric-based figures with a painted background. “I think my work is about being lost, in part. How I see is sort of my subject,” says Kitazawa.

“Insights” is in its 20th year and is one of the country’s most selective “exhibitions of paintings, photographs and mixed-media pieces by legally blind artists.”

The exhibition includes a number of supremely talented blind artists, among them photographers, painters, mixed media artists, etc. One photographer, Pete Eckert, takes pictures of images he perceives through sound; by imagining the bouncing and interaction of waves surrounding and interacting with an object, he can grasp and “see” a scene.

For more pictures, check out the slide show on the New York Times’ Web site

No comments: