Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Art of Blogging

Curator’s Corner has been up and running since June 1, 2006, and today marks our 1000th post!

Primarily powered by public relations and publications interns, past and present, this blog has offered museum patrons and visitors an online report of the goings on of the art world, both at home and internationally. Curator’s Corner is meant to be informative, concise and current, and as interns we try to live up to these expectations with every blog post.

The blogging process begins with visits to such sites as the New York Times, the High Museum, the Huffington Post and ArtDaily.org. We turn blog-worthy topics, from events and exhibitions to breaking arts news, into published snapshots. Curator’s Corner also features regular GMOA updates and also our Phase II expansion.

We would like to take this time to introduce ourselves, the current PR and publications interns. We are all students at the University of Georgia and thoroughly enjoy interning at GMOA during this exciting time in the museum’s history. It’s time to meet the bloggers!

My name is Yamanucci Molin and I am an intern in the publications department. I am a senior majoring in English with areas of emphasis in multicultural literature and creative writing and minors in Spanish and philosophy. I joined the GMOA intern staff a month ago, bringing with me two years of writing, editing and managing experience as the managing editor of InfUSion Magazine. Curator’s Corner has provided me with a platform to write about topics in art that pique my interest while reaching out to the GMOA audience. After graduating, I hope to put the skills I've acquired into practice and pursue a career in publishing. Thanks for reading!


My name is Jennifer Mayer, and I’ve been a public relations intern at GMOA since September 2009. I am a senior majoring in public relations and minoring in Spanish. My PR internship at GMOA has been an incredible experience, as I get to combine my love of the arts with my interest in PR practice. I was honored to receive the GMOA Student of the Year award this past spring. This internship has been extremely rewarding and I know that my experience at GMOA will help me excel in the PR field after I graduate.

My name is Molly Hoffmeister and I just began my internship with GMOA’s public relations department in June. I am a double major in public relations and studio art, with an emphasis in drawing and painting. As a fifth year, I recently graduated with my degree in public relations and an Environmental Ethics certificate, and I am returning this fall to continue working on my art major and a minor in art history-- and of course to continue my internship with GMOA. As I hope to one day make a career out of promoting an art museum, I couldn’t ask for a more perfect internship and I have sincerely enjoyed researching articles and writing for Curator’s Corner.

My name is Margaret George and I will graduate this December with a BFA in printmaking. I began my internship with the publications department in May and am enjoying every minute of it. I combine the knowledge I gained from art history classes with an appreciation for contemporary art to write blogs about events in the art world. I enjoy the process of creating things, which stems from my background in art, and blogging is a practical and fun application of my skills. After graduation, I plan on pursuing a career in either publications or new media at a museum or gallery. This internship has been, and will continue to be, one of the most rewarding and enlightening experiences I’ve had. I will be able to confidently look for a job at a museum or gallery based on the things I have learned through this internship.

As interns we are also responsible for maintaining all outlets of social media, so be sure to check out GMOA on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube and Second Life.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for following Curator’s Corner. We appreciate your time and we hope that you have enjoyed reading our blogs as much as we have enjoyed writing them!

1 comment:

Mab MacMoragh said...

congratulations gmoa! looking forward to your next 1000 posts!