Wednesday, June 23, 2010


Meet Dylan, GMOA's newest Young Dawg
My name is Dylan Whitlow. I am doing an internship at the Georgia Museum of Art through the Young Dawgs program. I am an upcoming senior at Athens Academy. I became interested in working in a museum last summer while I was in Switzerland, following a visit to Kunsthaus Zürich. The director of the summer program I was attending was an art history major and he was making us go, I think, so that he could charge the school for his visit instead of having to pay himself. So when we entered the museum I was less than enthusiastic. There were a few installations on the first floor that I liked, but not enough to think that there was nowhere in Zürich I would rather be. Then I walked up a staircase and saw a Mondrian painting that alone would have made the trip worthwhile because I finally saw the subtle grays that go unnoticed when seen in a book. At the Kunsthaus I also saw paintings by Kandinsky, Warhol, Pollock, Lichtenstein, Magritte, Picasso, Rembrandt, and artists I liked but whose names I had never heard. I was so amazed by that museum that I decided this summer I would try working in one myself to see what happens behind the scenes at an art museum and thanks to Young Dawgs I can. So I have been working at the Georgia Museum of Art for the past two weeks and I like it so far. I have been helping prepare things for publication, mostly by checking facts, which I liked because I was able to see the curatorial records kept on each painting. I have also helped by finding ways to improve the new museum website that is under construction. This is a great experience because I am able to see the goings-on behind a museum more each day and I am looking forward to the next few weeks here.

No comments: